Find me!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Time traveller


Kafele means "would die for"
Layla means "born at night"


Kafele: Why do you think it is not possible to travel back in time?
Layla: There's no need to elude the existent for something you've already lived through.
Kafele: But the intent could be one of making an impeccable past.
Layla: And then? Travel in time again through the flawless past to reach the present?
Kafele: That would actually facilitate populating the old life and re-living it.
Layla: What ground would one gain by perfecting the past? E.g. if you travelled to the past you would only peril our togetherness for all you know.
Kafele: So you think you won't be there in my sprawling new present, if I returned from a journey in time?
Layla: If you correct and check and watch your moves in your last past you won't set out looking for me, my need would be eradicated completely.



Kafele: Arguably it is also possible to travel forth in time, so perhaps I should do that.
Layla: Why would you wish to send yourself forward in time without experiencing the intervening?
Kafele: I want to familiarize myself with my future; just a glimpse and I'll be back.
Layla: What bearing will it have on the current scheme of things once you're back?
Kafele: Why should anything change?
Layla: May be you'll see your prospective form to be an accomplished and affluent merchandiser and when you return you'd think of ways of becoming potentially rich. You might sell off all your cattle. You wouldn't need a shepherdess like me then.
Kafele: So you think you won't be there in this same treacherous present, if I returned from a journey in time?
Layla: Work brought us together and need knits us close, when you're wealthy and refined, my presence would reduce to mere indignity.



Kafele: I'm stuck in time! Where's the exit?
Layla: Twenty aeons passed on Earth when you last travelled to space for 2 years and still all you wish to do is forsake me and go?
Kafele: No wonder nothing quite makes sense to me anymore. That would also include you!
Layla: You are like an astronomer who feels complete and accomplished when he looks at the sky to find some points and decides that put together they look like a deer.
Kafele: Those points make great constellations and the brightness of the stars makes great stories.
Layla: Look between the constellations into the black of the night.
Kafele: You are looking in the wrong place.
Layla: "There are just as many stories to be narrated in the dark spots as there are in the bright stars." [Jodie Picoult]

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is indeed quite a story. The twist at the end is a big jump in context and mood.

    ReplyDelete